Friday, 27 June 2014

I made a dress!

Yes I made a dress!
I don't know about you but I get really jealous of all these people that make these fantastic clothes. 

Me, I struggle to put a zip in a pouch! 
However one day last week I sat with the computer and researched dress patterns. I looked around back and forth on the internet until I finally settled on this pattern.
The Bianca Dress by Rae of the Washi Dress fame. 

I have even worn it out of the house on more than one occasion! (How brave am I!)

The pattern was really easy to print out and put together and incredibly easy to follow. I managed to cut out and make the whole dress (except heming) while watching back to back World cup Matches. 
(I would have been quicker if I hadn't been watching the football)! 

I plan to make at least one more as I have some fabric stashed away which I bought to make a skirt with over a year ago. I'm going to scratch the skirt idea and make a dress instead. But the speed at which you can make this dress means that there may be several more made over the summer. 

P.S. Sorry about the headless photos but I really hate having my photograph taken and instructed the photographer (number 2 son) to chop my head off in all the pictures. He obliged willingly!

Have a good weekend everyone!

Wednesday, 18 June 2014

Two Finishes (at last) for Two Little Ladies

I seem to have been really busy chasing my tail over the last few weeks and not actually finishing anything. However I do have these two quilts to share with you which I finished a few weeks ago and sent them onto their recipients. 

I was asked back in January if I could make two small quilts for two sister's. 

I was given a brief of Minnie Mouse for one and Lego for the other and asked if their names could be included somewhere. 

As you can see from these pictures one was spot on to the brief the other less so. 

I struggled with the Lego theme. If it had been for a boy I would have had no problem and straight away gone for some Paper Pieced patterns from here. But girlie Lego I struggled with. 

I eventually gave up and went kind of down the Scrappy route with lots of 2 1/2" squares and spelt her name. 

I zig-zagged around each letter to add some definition and used my favourite Ikea fabric for the background of this one and also the backing on both quilts. 

It was only then as I was typing up this post that I realised that I had spelt Lily's name wrong. 
You Idiot!
Don't you know that Lily is spelt with one L and not 2!!

Of course I knew.
I had the name written out with one L and yet I put 2 L's in the quilt.

So I spent the evening unpicking and replacing and finally a few days later, I had a finished quilt that was at last spelt correctly. 

So there we have it.

I did say I was going to be finished for Easter but that deadline passed me by. However I have now handed them over, (only a couple of weeks late!). 

Hope you like them Isla and Lily-Ann. 

Thursday, 12 June 2014

AWOL (Sorry)...

Apologies for being absent from blogging for so long, normal service will resume shortly. 

We have returned from a fantastic holiday with our families.

Stay tuned for some exciting news.